Building and Zoning
Our mission is to promote the health, safety and welfare of residents in unincorporated Cook County. In order to perform our mission, we conduct responsible and timely inspections of buildings and properties, as well as enforce all applicable building codes and zoning ordinances.
Our work involves issuing permits for new structures and renovations to existing ones, inspecting properties to ensure code compliance, issuing certificates of occupancy, and certifying the zoning requirements for properties in our jurisdiction, among other tasks.
Our department oversees building and zoning matters only in the unincorporated areas of Cook County. Inquiries regarding permits, zoning certificates, and other matters for properties located in incorporated jurisdictions (municipalities), should contact the applicable local building and zoning authority.
I want to:
- Apply for a building permit on-line or zoning approval
- Find out about permit requirements
- Establish or renew contractor registration
- Apply for a business certificate of occupancy
- Register a multi-unit dwelling or residential rental building
- Respond to a violation on my property