Solid Waste and Recycling Permitting
UPDATE: Our office at 69 W. Washington St. is open, but with limited staffing to encourage social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, services are still being provided.
REPORTS AND PERMITS: You may still apply for solid waste permits or submit solid waste or liquid hazardous waste reports online by clicking here.
- Recycling Facility Permit Application
- permit expires June 1 of each year, application due date is April 15
- Clean Construction Demolition Debris (CCDD) Fill Operation Permit Application
- permit expires July 1 of each year, application due date is May 15
- Hauler or Non-Residential Hauler or Transfer Station Reports
- 1st quarter due April 30 each year
- 2nd quarter due July 31 each year
- 3rd quarter due October 31 each year
- 4th quarter due January 31 each year
- Recycling or CCDD Activities Report
- 1st half due August 31 each year
- 2nd half due February 28 each year
- Liquid Hazardous Waste Report and applicable fee
- Due date April 1 each year
For questions or concerns email WasteandRecycling@cookcountyil.gov or call 312-603-8212.
All reports, permits, and applicable fees for solid waste and recycling will be submitted through the new electronic permit processing portal. Physical checks will no longer be accepted by the department; if checks are mailed to the department they will be returned to sender. Accepted payment options are credit card or electronic check. Additionally, all reporting will be submitted through the portal as well. You may find the Solid Waste and Recycling Ordinance here.
As of December 1, 2017, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control is now the Department of Environment and Sustainability.